Tuesday, September 26, 2006


Schools been picking up and is almost in full swing. I've been quite busy the last couple weeks, but have still managed to get out of Versailles and see a few things.

Last weekend the entire country of France celebrated Patrimoine, a holiday that celebrates national citizenship. For the entire weekend private buildings were open to the public. I decided to spend the weekend in Paris and see a few things nearby. I visited an ancient Roman bath, Sorbonne, the Senate, and an early public housing development designed by Le Corbusier. It was great opportunity to see some significant social spaces in France.

This weekend I traveled to Normandy. We went to Caen, Mont Saint-Michel, Bayeux, and Omaha Beach. Mont Saint-Michel is a magnificent complex that has been built over the last 10 centuries on an island right off the northern shore of France. The fortified structure looks like it came out of some fantasy and even feels like you're walking through Disneyland. Omaha Beach was quite an experience as well. Walking the sandy shore and through the American Cemetery seemed surreal. I took quite a few pictures and i'll get them up shortly.


Comments:



< Home